A&P and Anti-Hero

 A&P and Anti-Hero

I thoroughly enjoy comparing stories I've read to songs that I enjoy. A&P is a story about a 19-year-old man who works at a convenience store and watches as this group of girls comes in, wearing bikinis and no shoes. Considering this story was written in 1962, bikinis were relatively new and sometimes seen as scandalous. But what made this story even better, is that this kid, Sammy, tried to stand up for the 3 girls after his manager kicked them out. He wanted to be a hero so bad but ended up being his own problem. Which relates to the song, "Anti-Hero, written by Taylor Swift. In which she says "It's me, hi. I'm the problem it's me," and this represents Sammy try to "protect" these girls from getting kicked out by quitting his job. My question is how does that work? What made Sammy think that the manager wouldn't kick the girls out of his store, even though they weren't dressed modestly? In the end, he is the problem and quit his job for no reason, so now he has to figure out what in god's name he's going to do with his life. But in the end, that's an entirely him issue and no one can feel bad. 







Comments

Popular Posts